So back in the spring of 2016 I decided I would finally sew some curved blocks. I intended to just do enough for a pillow – curves were intimidating!! I made the fizzy block ( a variation of a drunkard’s path) from Blossom Heart Quilts. As you can see, mine didn’t line up perfectly but it was my first curved block so I’m cutting myself a bit of slack.
I was going to sew it up into a pillow but thought, “The repeat for this block is amazing…maybe make four blocks and make a large pillow.” I ended up making six.
And I decided, what the heck…make a quilt! I’m so glad I decided to! Almost a year later, I have 30 blocks and I finally finished!
Some of my circles lined up better than others for sure. I love how making the circles one color (instead of two – which is also amazing) makes the block look like a flower with a purple center.
I am very fond of using low volume fabrics for the background fabric in a quilt. I think I had a pretty good mix of low volumes in this one. I keep joking that in years to come, the low volume background is going to be a way to date our quilts. I can just hear my grand-kids saying, “I wonder why grandma used all these prints with text on it??”
I also used the very last bits of one of my favorite low volume prints ever…this print with the words to Starlight, Star Bright on it. It’s leftover bits from back in my children’s clothing sewing days! I used it on an apron dress that was just adorable!
Backing and binding are Moda Grunge fabrics I got on sale this week at my local quilt shop. The backing is a wide back and my very first time using wide back. Oh my goodness…love not piecing the back! I really loved the deep purple grunge for the binding as well!
Here’s a bunch more pictures to show the fabrics…
Oh, this is also my first quilt finish for February. Quilt #4 for 2017 (which means I’ve now made more quilts in 2017 than I did in 2016!)
I love how this quilt turned out. I also love all the purples in it. At the beginning of 2016 I noticed I had very little orange or purple in my stash. I intentionally tried to build those colors in my stash so I now have a pretty decent selection of purples! It was fun to put them in this quilt! (Now I need to work on yellows and reds!)
The final measurements of the quilt are 60″ x 72″, so it’s a nice sized throw quilt. Each block was 12.5″ unfinished and 12″ finished.
And one last look!