A Quilt Story

Raspberry Kiss Block Swap

I recently participated in a Raspberry Kiss block swap on Instagram. Just wanted to share the blocks I received from ladies all over the world! Aren’t they lovely? I think I need to sew up at least 10 more to finish it off.

Also, funny story. The day I recieved these I didn’t check the mail until after dark. I decided to try and photograph them in my living room but had to stand on a chair to (barely) get them all in the picture. I ended up balanced half on a chair and half on my couch when a storm caused our power to go out! Yikes!! It was rather precarious but I didn’t break anything!

A Quilt Story

Just a Wee Little Peek

…at something cool I’m working on.

IMG_9718

It is a swap I’m participating in. These are the first three blocks I’ve completed but I plan to do 10-12. I totally need to do some thread trimming, I see. (This stuff always shows up so much better in pictures, it seems.) This is the Dwell block from the book Simply Retro by Camille Roskelly. I’ve had this book for  some time now and still haven’t made a quilt from it so it’s time. I was excited to join the block swap and I cannot wait to see how it all pans out. This swapping stuff is addictive!

I’m also currently cleaning/organizing my sewing space. Oh. My. Gosh. It was such a disaster and I didn’t have a system that worked well for me and my space. I’m revamping my system and decluttering. I used to store my fabric on comic book boards but they never stood up straight or looked very neat to me. Also, I love to have my kids help me put up fabric and they really had a difficult time getting it neat. I’m now folding it (the way my fabric shop folds it – that way I can come home from the fabric store and just put it on the shelf!) and I love it so much better. It’s the perfect fit for my shelves, I have them in color order, my kids can do it, and it’s easier to maintain.

I’m also changing up the way I do scraps. I’ve been putting all scraps in order by color. I mostly liked this but I had lots of itty bitty bits in with almost fat quarter cuts. Also, I had so many bins and not really enough space for them all. I’m now organizing by size and cutting all my scraps to either 2.5 inch squares, 5 inch squares, 1.5 inch strips, 2.5 inch strips, and bundles that are fat quarterish (mostly smaller but I didn’t want to cut down too much because there was a substantial amount of it.) I keep my FQ’s together already as well as all my precuts.

It’s been a combination of good and bad. I can see progress and that is exciting but I’m also really getting tired of working on it. I just want to quilt. I need to get this done though so off I go to finish organizing my scraps!